Yammer.com September 18, 2008Posted by Ced in Blog, Feeds, Online, Services.
Tags: Blog, company, messaging, micro, presence, update, yammer
add a comment
Yammer.com is an enterprise productivity solution that uses a publish-and-subscribe model to improve communication while reducing email overload.
“Yammer is a tool for making companies and organizations more productive through the exchange of short frequent answers to one simple question: ‘What are you working on?’ ” [Yammer]
What you can do with the service:
- Publish status updates, ideas, news, links, and questions without cluttering up inboxes.
- Subscribe to the people and topics that are relevant to you.
- Reply to status updates and have discussions.
- See what people are actually working on and talking about.
- Search archived messages as a knowledge-base.
- Find people in the directory to contact them or learn more about them.
The basic service is free. The ability to Claim and administer the company network is fee-based.
This is a nice solution for the business sector, where presence updates and online messaging can be limited to just within the company network.
Rejaw.com – New Way to Chat August 9, 2008Posted by Ced in Blog, Online, Services.
Tags: Blog, chat, micro, mini, rejaw
add a comment
Rejaw.com is a microblogging service with a hint of chat.
“Rejaw is a new way to communicate in real-time with friends, family, and co-workers. You can shout messages to your followers, or whisper to your friends. Monologue or dialogue, micro-blog or status update, soliloquy or dialectic – how you use Rejaw is up to you.” [Rejaw]
- Real chat. Messages are delivered immediately.
- Shouts and whispers. Shouts are publicly sent to your followers, whereas whispers are privately sent to selective recipients that you choose.
- Images and movies. Just post a URL of an image or a YouTube video, and it shows up in your message.
- Permalinks. Every shout or whisper has a permanent URL. It’s easy to link directly to a conversation.
- Guests. Anyone can join the conversation, even if they don’t have an account on Rejaw.
- Auto-closing. Shouts and whispers are closed when there is no activity for 3 days, which makes them static archives.
- Find friends. You can find your friends who use Rejaw from your Facebook friends or Gmail contacts.
- Desktop app. Rejaw Radar is a desktop application that keeps you up-to-date with the latest shouts, whispers and replies on Rejaw.
Yet another Twitter clone, you say? Maybe not. It was described [via Mashable] as a mixture of Twitter, Plurk, and Meebo. It’s free, so trying it out is a no-brainer. Maybe a *cross-platform* client would be a great addition.
Posterous.com – Easy Microblogging via Email July 3, 2008Posted by Ced in Blog, Online, Services.
Tags: Blog, Email, micro, posterous
add a comment
Posterous.com is a blog service that lets you create a blog site, post entries, and respond to comments, using email.
“Posterous lets you post things online fast using email. You email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we reply instantly with your new posterous blog. … If you can use email, you can have your own website to share thoughts and media with friends, family and the world.” [Posterous]
The format for sending a post is as follows:
- Subject Line = Post title
- Text Area = Post content
You can also attach any type of file to your email, including (but not limited to) photos, MP3s, documents, and video links.
One can say that Posterous is similar to Tumblr (tumblr.com), but Posterous makes it more simple to create an account, post entries, and respond to comments, all via email.
For the curious, my Posterous blog is ced.posterous.com.